Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sounding like a broken record

Dear Friends,

I had an interesting conversation with Ashley on our way to school this morning...

Mum: Do you have PE today?
Ashley: Let me check. Oh, today has PE.
Mum: You're wearing school uniform. Are you allowed to take part in PE today?
Ashley: Nope, just sit one side and do nothing.
Mum: I thought you enjoyed PE?
Ashley: PE is boring now. Always do the boring stuff.
Mum: Which is more boring? Sit around or PE?
Ashley: So sickering, must remember so many things. I don't care!
Mum: What do you mean you don't care?
Ashley: It's hard to remember so many things about school!
Mum: How do you think Kieran can play the piano so beautifully without looking at the score?
Silent
Mum: How do you think Kieran got his grade 8 from grade 0 in 8 months at 18 years old?
Silent
Mum: He remembered the scores by heart and he practised from 1am to 5am. He put in effort and hardwork to pursue his dream.
Silent
Mum: Look at your uncle. He is a world-class violinist who performs in every part of the world. He also remembers his score and practises very hard.
Ashley: Mum, cool down. I know already. I love you, Mum. (He got off the car)

I seem to hear the "I don't care" more often than ever. I feel we should address this negative attitude on the spot. I may sound like a broken record to Ashley but I will continue to "nag" at him. I heard from some education experts and my mother that somehow, kids will hear us in their sub-conscious mind and oneday they will remember what we said to them and see the light bulb.

Warm Regards,
Broken record Loving Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment