Friday, July 9, 2010

Love is Patient

Dear Pals,

Ashley woke me up at 6am this morning. For the first time, he was waiting for me at the door while I washed up. I must say I'm impressed by my boy. However, last night was a different picture. He was crying and shouting because he couldn't memorize the chinese spelling. He was burning mid-night oil and was stressed up. Both my hubby and I just kept quiet and allow him get his stream out. Once he cooled down, my hubby took over the last part revision with him and he turned in peacefully after he memorized all the words.

I reflect on this incident and am glad I did not react to his anger the way I did in the past. In the past, I became very emotional and would bring up my old grandmother story why he must study hard to have a bright future. My words caused more tension than eased his anxiety. In the end, we were so mad with each other and gave each other the angry look. Luckily, my hubby was there for him.

The turning point for us was the day when his best friend, Titus and his mum came to visit us during the June holiday. The boys were having the best time in their lives playing Wii and computer games. After they left, we chatted over tea and I looked into his eyes and said, "Do you know why Mum invite your friend over to our house? I want you to have a happy childhood". I was so touched when he replied,"I want mum to have a happy adulthood too". He cares about my feeling and want me to be happy too. Each time when I raised my voice at him when he misbehaved, he would immediately look at me in the eyes and say, "Mum, Smile". Sometimes, it is hard to give a sunny smile when you're angry. When he saw my not-so-sunny smile, he would say, "You're faking. Smile please". From there on, I know I must change my attitude towards my son to help each other manage our anger.

His love and care for me makes me more determined to be more patient with him. I will always remember he woke up early on Mothers' Day to make me a card using powerpoint. He wrote, "Thank you Mum for being so kind and supportive. I love you". I gave him a bear hug that lasted 10 minutes. We are very lucky to have a loving son.

Boys are boys. They tend to be more active and sensitive. Thus, they get angry over trivial matters more often. Their little eyes are watching us all the time. To teach them patience and love, we must walk the talk. No wonder my sisters said to me that I've become a better person after I become a mother. That's the best compliment I ever received.

Cheers!
Loving Mum learning the Art of Patience

No comments:

Post a Comment