Friday, July 30, 2010

Who turned on the school canteen light this morning?

Dearest Ashley,

Thanks to you, I had the honour to turn on the lights in your school canteen this morning. Mummy had never been the first to reach school like you. When we sat in the canteen eating donuts, Mummy asked you why you want to reach school as early as 6:10am and your reply jerked me a little. You shared with me that you like to come to school early so that you can sleep in the hall and wait for your friends. You like your friends to praise you for being the 1st to arrive in school!

Now I know why you cried when you woke up at 6:30pm on Wed morning. You don't want to be the last to reach school. Sometimes, Mummy was taken aback by what you said, especially on that eventful Wed morning.

Ashley: I hate Aunty. She woke me up late.
Mum: Ashley, don't blame Aunty.
Ashley: No, teachers will blame me for being late for school.
Mum: Don't be afraid, you won't be late.
Ashley: I'm not afraid of teachers' scolding, I'm not afraid of teachers.
Mum: Then why are you so worried?
Ashley: I just want to reach school early. I don't want to be late.

Based on my observations, I realised you are unlike the regular kids who are afraid of teachers. I don't mean you need to fear teachers but you must respect them. They are like your parents in school. They have good intention for you and care for you though sometimes their words and actions may not please you.

Mummy is happy that you want to be early for school but if you woke up too early, your "battery" will run flat very soon. Being punctual is a good habit but being early to receive praises from your friends may not sound like a good habit. We long for praises, even adults. However, if we intentionally do things to chase praises, we may not be doing the right thing. In the same light, do we chase after money to make us successful and happy or do we do the right and happy things so that success chase after us? What are the priorities in your life? Are you practising your priorities everyday? How do you feel when you practised your priorities?

Thought you will like today's Words of Wisdom:

"When we learn to say a deep, passionate yes to the things that really matter, then peace begins to settle onto our lives like golden sunlight sifting to a forest floor." ~ Thomas Kinkaide, artist

Lots of hugs and love,
Mummy's first priority is You & Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment