Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Have you wondered what would your child speak of you to their close friends in 20 years' time?

Dear Friends,

I had lunch with a dear girl friend today and we chatted about almost everything under the sun. Naturally, we talked about relationships, all kinds of relationships. She made me realised that our mothers actually shaped our character and outlook in life. However, at certain junctures, it is the choices we made in life that determine our destiny and happiness.

I felt an even greater sense of responsibility to teach my kids well as our impact on them is a lifetime. On a lighter note, I sincerely hope that 20 years from now, they will talk about their parents in a loving way instead of blaming us. Parenting is alot of trials and errors. I hope we'll have more hits than misses so eventually resulted in net positive energy.

The best part of our lunch was that we both spoke highly of our mothers though we might have disagreements in the past. We tend to judge people by their actions, not intention. Our parents' intention for us is always good. However, their actions do injustice to them. Likewise, now that we're parents, we're trap in the same misunderstood situations.

This week has been a challenging week for us as we try to keep Ashley from computer games on weekdays. He would protest, fight back and even beg me to play computer games on weekday. My hubby and I are very insistent this time round as we finally learned from our mistake of being a parent of convenience instead of consistency. Good intention from us but he can't see it now.

Loving and caring for our children requires a good balance of soft love and hard love. I'm gulity of not practising the latter enough. My wish is that my kids will appreciate my hard love as much as they enjoy my soft love.

Warm Regards,
Enlightened Loving Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment