Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hard love

Dear Friends,

I'm happy that we managed to keep Ashley from playing computer games the whole of last weekdays through our persistent effort. This morning, he woke up at 7:30am and started playing computer game. I got up immediately and said to him in a kind but firm tone that we should take a walk in our condo to open our eyes first as the glare from the computer will hurt his eyes. He graciously accepted my offer. As it was drizzling, he scootered while Abby cycled at our basement carpark for half an hour before we head home for breakfast. I kept my words and he started playing computer games for 30 minutes after his breakfast.

Abby likes to play in the car and sometimes refuses to buckle up. Today, I said to her in a kind but firm voice to buckle up but my words fell on deaf ears. I raised my voice a little and reminded her again. She started crying as she is very thin-skinned. I patiently explained to her why she must buckle up and hugged her. She stopped crying after 5 minutes and buckled up.

Many experienced parents and my Mum always reminded me to be firm with my kids so that they will not climb onto my head. I realised I was too soft and practised convenience parenting in the past. There are times when we let them have a choice but they must also learn that Mum and Dad's words are final.

Regards,
Loving Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment