Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Mentor's wise words on life, marriage and parenting

Dearest Ashley and Abby,

Mummy is very blessed with kind and wise close friends around me, constantly inspiring and rubbing off their brilliance on me.  Uncle Don is one of them.  We had our 3rd birthday lunch yesterday.  Besides Ee Ee, Uncle Don is the only one who shares the same birth date as me. I still remember the first time we met, we chatted over two hours.  Though we are 23 years apart, we have many things in common. I'll like to share with you what I've learned from him yesterday:

On Life...."Life is what you give into it and the returns could be 10 folds."

On Life..." We can control the rivers' mouths but we cannot control people's mouth."

On Marriage...."We have our differences. But our children did not come to this world by themselves.  We brought them here.  We have the responsibility to give them a safe and happy home especially when the outside world can be harsh and unforgiving.  What chances do they have in life if they can't even come home to feel loved and cared for?"

On Marriage...."We're just like the 2 big rough rocks at the seashore, being hit by waves after waves.  Over time, the waves smoothen the surface of these 2 big rocks."

On Parenting..."When my kids were young, they were chaffeured by a driver to school. I would teach them to thank the driver when they reached home/school. Having a grateful heart is very important in children."

On Parenting..."We're the Captain of the Family Ship.  We must build a ship with strong foundation before we can steer them in the right direction."

On Success..." If we won the world but lost our family, that is not success. Bringing up good children is one of the greatest successes."

On Feeling Good..."To be able to help others, especially those who need my help, makes me feel good."

In my eyes, Uncle Don is a Successful man both on a professional and personal fronts: At 62, he is still a very successful serial entrepreneur; his two grown-up boys are experts in their own fields and very family-centric.  Don, I wish to be like you when I reach 62 years old. Look forward to our birthday celebration year after year.  Cheers!

Love,
Mummy Dearest




No comments:

Post a Comment