Thursday, June 16, 2011

Why Michelle Obama is Mummy's No. 1 Idol

Dearest Ashley & Abby,

Do you know why Michelle Obama is Mummy's No. 1 idol? As I read her book, I could relate with her childhood, beliefs and her views on children:

On Her Childhood
I say this not to be modest, but there are so many young people who could be me. There's nothing magical about my background. I am not a super-genius. I had good parents and some good teachers and some decent breaks, and I work hard. The difference between success and failure in our society is a very slim margin. You almost have to have that perfect storm of good parents, self-esteem and good teachers.

I was raised to believe I could do it all, and that was very empowering.

There were no miracles in my life. The thing that I saw that many of us still see is hard work and sacrifice.

Growing up, my mother always taught me to work hard to achieve my dreams and to never let anyone tell me that I couldn't do something. It's definitely the most valuable lesson I've learned.

On Her Children
I believe that kids thrive with structure and rules and boundaries.

They are our hearts. They light up our lives.

I want my kids to really be free, to reach and dream for whatever they can imagine. I don't want anybody telling them what they can't do. I want them to be proud to live in this country. I want them to be able to travel the world with pride. And I don't want that just for my kids. I want that for all of our children, and we're not there. We're not there.

No whining, arguing, or annoying teasing.

Believe in Yourself, Dream Big and Be the BEST that You can Be!!!

Love,
Mummy Dearest

No comments:

Post a Comment