Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Inspirations drawn from Michelle Obama and her parents

Dearest Ashley and Abby,

Does the following statement sound familiar?

"It's who you are as a person and how you treat others that matters, not the degree you hold or the position you hold."

The above comment was made by Michelle Obama on her husband, President Barack Obama. After reading several books about them, Mummy is even more inspired by them and their parents who nurtured them.

Here's what Michelle Obama said about her parents:

"My parents taught me about confidence from within. Everything flows from that."

"Growing up, my parents worked to instill a sense of pride and self-confidence in me and my brother. They taught us to work hard, pursue our dreams, and not worry about things that are beyond our control."

"We had very hardworking parents. They didn't go to college, but they believe in the importance of education; they were staunch supporters of us, so we always had two parents telling us how wonderful we were."

My Mum had never stepped into a school and my Dad only completed Sec 2. Yet, they supported their 3 precious daughter through University as they also believe in the importance of education. They were our greatest cheerleaders and always supported us in all school activities. I recalled my Mum cried when she saw me performing 相声in JC and cultural dance in Victoria Theatre. Though we didn't get the chance to learn any musical instruments, eat out or go for any vacations with my parents when we were growing up, we didn't feel derived as our parents showered us with so much love and support.

We're very grateful to our parents for giving us a good education and family values. Like what Michelle Obama said, "Our parents taught me about confidence from within. Everything flows from that." Confidence/ self-belief is the most important foundation to do anything and everything. Michelle Obama came from a humble background but what makes her accomplished so much was the self confidence from within that she practises daily since young.

Cheers!
Mummy Dearest

No comments:

Post a Comment