Friday, August 13, 2010

Develop consistent behaviour when you are young

Dearest Ashley,

While removing your contact lens before we head for school this morning, you told me you have Chinese spelling. I was fuming mad because you did not learn your spelling. What angered me most was when you said, "I don't care". Mummy can accept your forgetfulness but I can't stand the "I don't mind" attitude.

Am glad we had the following conversation in the car:

Mum: Ashley, do you like Mummy to always talk to you in a loving way instead of sometimes raising my voice at you like this morning.

Ashley: Loving way always.

Mum: I also want to talk to you consistently in a loving way. Doing things in a consistent way means no unpleasant surprises like this morning. Mother is always home after my work; there's always food on the table; Ah Mah is always there to cook you your meals after school; Mummy always drives you to school punctually. So, you see the importance of being consistent in our behaviour?

Ashley: Yeah.

Mummy: Imagine when you become a singer, you sing the "I don't care" songs. Do you think your Fans will care about you? Do you think they care to buy tickets to watch your concert? Don't you think it is important to expect a high standard of yourself and consistently present high quality music and performance for your Fans?

Ashley: Silent.

Mummy: The best time to start developing a consistent behaviour is when you are young. Instead of getting full marks one day and 60 mark another day, can you aim to get good marks which you are capable of? Can we agree to start a consistent plan to learn spelling on Wed after your piano lesson and revise one more time on Thurs?

Ashley: Ok, Mum.

Mummy: Good. With a consistent plan, you will achieve consistent good results. Now, quickly go learn your spelling. Love you, son. Bye.

Ashley: Ok, Mum. I love you too.

Love,
Mummy promised to speak to you in a loving way consistently

1 comment:

  1. Awesome advice. The only way to approach the continuous journey of life. My mom always reminded me that 人生犹如逆水行舟、不进则退。

    ReplyDelete